Tuesday 20 March 2018

Study Task 2

For this section, I decided to use the text from Laura Mulvey; "Visual Pleasure and Narrative Cinema". From my understanding, I believe the concept that Mulvey is trying to convey, is that there is a stigma around the imagery of female roles and the human form in general which attracts us to certain character in cinema, and gives us some form of pleasure from watching these characters. It is my understanding that Mulvey somewhat acknowledges the move away from the patriarchal roles of women in film as the years progress but that it is still an issue.



I believe these quote to represent the overarching concept which Mulvey is trying to convey to the reader.

I feel like there is any number of outer world examples that follow this particular train of thought, however if I were to name a few playboy tends to play into this particular category of which Mulvey talks about, playing on the "looked at ness" of the still human form. This is also present in tv shows such as baywatch, which objectify women to be eye candy to men.

This could be tied into my theme, as most of the time, when Dracula strikes his victims, it is a young woman, and when he does this, many reviewers have described the act as sensual. Even the film "Bride of Dracula" she is incredibly sexualised, as opposed to Dracula himself who is supposed to be intimidating. This proves Mulvey's point of the patriarchal roles in society, and how the bride is sexualised in the eyes of the husband.

No comments:

Post a Comment