Tuesday 20 March 2018

Into the Book - My Question and What I am Doing

I have now decided on a question that I am happy with for my essay and also what I have decided to do. I am going to look at how society looks at horror movies in specific time periods, and how the views of the time affects what goes into a horror movie, and what people find scary. For my sketchbook, as a final outcome, I want to redesign a classic horror character for an animated setting to connect my idea to the world of animation. I want to do this twice, I want to design them in a classic setting, and a modern day setting, but with a classic twist. I want to put this in to a short maybe 1 second animation which switches between the 2 different periods. when doing this I want to consider the colour palette's of the times, and also the setting and whether the environment in the background also reflects the character. I am undecided on who this character will be as of now, I am considering Dracula and Frankenstein's monster as potential candidates. I also considered Pennywise from Stephen King's "IT" however as this has been done recently I will just use the redesign for reference in making my own instead.

My question is ; How does the Socio Context of the Time Dictate the fear factor within Horror Films?


I have taken this title straight from the beginning of my essay of which the introduction can be seen on a separate blog. Some quotes I have found for my essay so far are listed down below:

“an unpleasant emotion caused by the threat of danger, pain or harm”

it is Lugosi's performance, and the cinematography of Karl Freund, that make Tod Browning's film such an influential Hollywood picture”

And these are some of the images I have decided to use; 





















No comments:

Post a Comment